Infusion Nurses’ Role During Disasters
Recorded On: 04/25/2018
Disasters are becoming a more common occurrence in our society. Natural disasters such as hurricanes and floods, man-made disasters such as mass shootings and workplace violence, and emerging pathogens like Ebola and SARS all touch the profession of nursing. Nursing has historically responded to society’s call for help during disasters. Infusion nurses play a pivotal role in providing patient care as part of an interdisciplinary team and may be called upon to practice in less familiar settings in the event of a disaster. This presentation explores nurses’ moral obligations during disasters from professional and individual perspectives.
Learning Outcomes: At the conclusion of this presentation, learners will be able to:
1. Explicate the ethical requisite to respond to disaster.
2. Understand their personal requisite to respond to disaster.
3. Weigh risks and responsibilities when personally called upon to respond to a disaster.
4. Identify how the ANA nurses’ code of ethics directs response during a disaster.
5. Describe the ANA position statement on risk and responsibility and understand how this document guides nursing’s response during disaster.
Donna Casey, DNP, MBE, BSN
ANA Ethics and Human Rights Advisory Board Chair
Donna Casey, DNP, MBE, BSN, has more than 30 years of professional nursing experience in clinical practice, education, and leadership, and is a nationally recognized leader in clinical biomedical ethics. She currently chairs the American Nurses Association’s ANA Ethics and Human Rights Advisory Board, which addresses ethical issues at the state, national, and international levels. Dr. Casey earned a BSN from the University of Virginia, a master’s degree in bioethics from University of Virginia, and a DNP from the University of Nevada.
CRNI® RUs: This session has been approved for 1 CRNI® recertification unit and meets the non INS Meeting criteria.
Contact Hours: This session has been approved for 1 contact hour
Expiration date for receipt of contact hours: April 25, 2021